I don’t know about you, COVID19 has given me more time than I had before to do nothing, seeing as we can’t go out anymore. I have been spending a lot of it watching TV and Movies and just melting into the couch. I find myself missing books.
I love reading. It’s the best thing I can do before bed. It forces a tech-break. It inspires and activates your imagination in ways TV and Movies can not. I decided I wanted to start reading more; especially books that I could mine for games or that just left me inspired. I was going to read the APPENDIX N books from the classic D&D game, yet as I started looking through the list I realised that many of them are a product of their time and I wanted to read more modern and aware texts with a wider variety of authors.
Appendix: Lit Book Club. A book club designed to provide players, game masters, and storytellers inspiration through fantasy and science fiction literature that breaks the eurocentric white male norms of the genres.
There are some good book lists out there. Yet they all felt like more of the same variety of book clubs. I wanted something that was focused on fantasy/sci-fi/action. Thus I decided to create my own list and start a book club to inspire my me and my games and get some variety in my reading and authors!
Below is the first list of 12 books and the dates I’ll try to do a chat about it. The date is also when we start the next book. You can read, audio-book, get read to, whatever works for you. For this first list, I tried to pick a varied selection of authors.
You can join the discord chat here (This is also where we will be having the monthly chats). Tell us you are there for Appendix Lit. Zero tolerance for posting spoilers or hate.
- The Candle and the Flame by Nafiza Azad—November 14, 2020
- The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter—December 19, 2020
- The Library of Legends by Janie Chang—January 16, 2021
- Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler—February 13, 2021
- Crow Winter by Karen McBride—March 13, 2021
- Hench by Natalie Zina Walschots—April 10, 2021
- Goldilocks by Laura Lam—May 8, 2021
- The Abyss That Surrounds Us by Emily Skrutskie—June 12, 2021
- Stealing Thunder by Alina Boyden—July 10, 2021
- Agency by William Gibson—August 14, 2021
- House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. Maas—September 11, 2021
- Wolf of the Plains by Conn Iggulden—October 9, 2021
I linked all the books to Indigo books, a Canadian bookstore chain for consistency and ease of search. If you are in Vancouver I recommend both Pulp Fiction Books and Iron Dog Books. Both these books stores are local gems and are great at bringing in what you need. Sometimes you don’t have the money or space for new books, luckily these books will likely be at your library. If you want to grow your collection I urge you to use a local, independent bookstore—if you don’t have a lot of space, pass them on to an aspiring game master/dungeon master/storyteller to help inspire them.
I’m very excited, let’s get inspired!